[C38] Keel & Toe Rail

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 21 11:18:56 EST 2013

Mark:
Chuck's solution to the toe rail is very cool. I will use it on my toe rail.
Last haul out I had weeping from several spots on the keel. The yard
suggested grinding away the spots, filling, then faring them. They said
that the infiltration would spread. I had them do the work; they charged
about 1 boat unit for the job. I am three years into this bottom job,
and the diver does not indicate any problem down there. Of course, next
haul out will reveal all.
Don

On 2/21/13 8:03 AM, Charles Finn wrote:
> Mark,
>
> The easy one.
> I fashioned a gouging tool by heating and bending and sharpening the
> tip of a narrow bladed screwdriver.  I used that to scrape out the
> loose material.  I then took my "roto tool" and ground out a bit more
> of the old caulk to obtain a clean surface  at a depth of about 1/4
> inch.  I then applied 5200 caulk, using a very narrow tip to ensure
> complete filling of the gap. Smoothing with a wet finger to make it
> pretty.
>
> Second:
> Looks to me like the material over your lead keel has developed cracks
> with some infiltration.  No big deal in terms of your boat leaking or
> sinking.  If you are really racing crazy...  you could use this as an
> opportunity to re-fare the keel....  or wait until some of the
> material either softens or falls off to deal with it.
>
> Regards,
> Chuck Finn
> Mighty Quinn  #114
> Great Lakes
>
> On 2/20/2013 2:42 PM, Mark O'Dell wrote:
>> Hey All...
>>
>> Two questions for the group.
>>
>> First the easy one...
>>
>> What is the best material to use to fill the outboard gap between the
>> bottom of the aluminum toerail and hull? (5200? Caulk? Epoxy?) (Pic
>> attached)
>>
>> Second...
>>
>> When I bough the boat  3 years ago I noticed that it had some strange
>> leakage / seepage at the bottom of the keel. The surveyor wasn't
>> concerned (and didnt have any explanation), as the keel seemed to be
>> solid... and honestly I wasnt too concerned because the bilge has
>> always been pretty dry, it's way low on the keel, it's underwater and
>> with a good coat of paint out-of-sigh-out-mind. But, I've always
>> wondered what the heck is going on here. More than a few boatyard
>> conversations havent turned up much, so I thought I'd kick it out to
>> the group...  See the attached images... Any ides?
>>
>> Mark
>> Momentous #230
>> Baltimore

Donald R. Strong