[C38] Keel & Toe Rail

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Thu Feb 21 11:24:03 EST 2013

When fixing the catalina smile on Peregrine, we started with grinding
the crack down to good material, what we found  was that  it went deeper
than we suspected and once all the paint and filler was ground off.  We
discovered  that the leading edge of the keel at the interface to the
boat had some very large honey combed holes, not in the lead but in the
filler along the leading edge near the stub.  We filled the holes  with
epoxy (a lot of  epoxy) then filled the crack we had ground out and the
surrounding area with long haired bondo, faired  the work, epoxy coated
and painted and two years later still no problems.   Don't be afraid to
take a grinder and sander, after all its only lead and can be filled and
faired pretty easily.