[C38] What is the issue with C38 bow cleats?

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Mon Mar 18 13:28:57 EDT 2013

Dear Friends:
  I have lost the thread on this post. Please remind me of it. I will
comment, however, that our C38 central bow cleat is beafy. As evidence I
over the experience that I, Mr Moron, had as we motored on to a mudbank
on the way out of the harbor on our first day of ownership of Discreet
Charm. (I will spare you the family's comments on the seamanship of the
coxswain).

The tug that was dredging our marina took pity, and his crewed rowed a
huge line over to us. It was of such a diameter than the cleat was too
small to take a trun. I had to use a smaller line to fasten that
massive, greasy, muddy thing to the bow cleat cleat.. The Tug then
dragged us across 10 meters of 4 ft deep mud while we heeled to port
like mad. Back in the channel, I released the line. Checking the bolts
and cleats some 12 years later, no problem.
Don
C38 Discreet Charm
Emery Cove, San Francisco Bay

On 3/18/13 10:04 AM, les wrote:
> Hi, Ray,
> 	I am reposting your question here to keep the context.
> On Sun, 2013-03-17 at 19:45 -0700, Ray Torok wrote:
>

>> Thanks for getting back to me on this.  Here's another idea I'm toying
>> with.  Perhaps you considered it.   Suppose I drill and tap the toe
>> rail for the outboard bolts of the cleat?  I would have to shim under
>> the inboard part of the cleat, but it would get the cleat farther
>> outboard.  Any reaction?
>>
> I don't think this is a good idea.  If the cleat should fail in bad
> conditions, you would not only lose the cleat, but possibly the toerail
> section and along with that a portion of the deck seal to the hull.  A
> really bad situation would escalate immediately to an extremely
> dangerous one.  Others may know the construction well enough that they
> could advise otherwise, but this is my gut feeling.  When it comes to
> the ocean, keeping the water out is my paramount effort in any
> emergency.
>
> Regards,
> Les H

Donald R. Strong