[C38] Auto pilots and AC

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 31 14:39:27 EDT 2013

Hello Bill of Flying Goose and group,

Regardless of the brand and type of electronic steering you select, if you
relieve the weather helm load by using bungee cords on the wheel it will
not only save wear and tear on your steering system but also greatly extend
the charge of your batteries.

I burned up my first Autohelm servo motor when it got so hot it melted the
nylon planetary gears.  Afterwards I started using bungee cords to
neutralize the weather helm and the new servo was then hardly warm to the
touch and my battery bank lasted much longer between charges.

Tom Troncalli