[C38] Thru-hull fittings

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed May 8 15:06:23 EDT 2013

On Knee Deep (formerly JACE), we found that the thru-hulls were leaking
at the joint between the fiberglass mound and the threaded nipple.  I
opted to replace all the thru-hulls with traditional bronze thruhulls
and new valves.  I did not attempt this job myself, and had it done in
San Diego at Oceanside Marine Center.  If you race, you would want the
flush designs, but I wanted maximum strength, so I chose the button
style.  This was some time ago, so the price would not be relevant
today, but it was about $1200 8 years ago.

There are some various kinds of thru-hulls of plastic, infused glass and
some newer stuff.  Be very careful, some of these are not rated for
below the waterline use.  Every thruhull on the CAT-38 spends some time
below the waterline when cruising or racing hard, so I just wouldn't
trust the ones not rated for that.

Les H.