[C38] Whisker pole suggestions

Ray Torok torok13731 at gmail.com
Fri May 17 10:17:10 EDT 2013

Hi Pierre,

At a recent boat show I asked the Forespar rep about this.  He steered me
to the next size smaller version of the one you are looking at - part no.
402200.  This is also the one that the selection guide on the Forespar
website likes http://www.forespar.com/whisker2011.shtml#C_LIST

 It telescopes out to 22 feet, which seems like plenty for anything I would
do, and is significantly lighter than the 403200 (27 lbs. vs. 38 lbs.).

The Forespar guy also liked the idea of stowing it on the mast, as you
never have to carry the whole thing around on the foredeck with the ends
banging around, and never have to carry the full weight of it.  However,
the track on my mast is not long enough to stow even the 402200 against the
mast.  He suggested adding track at the top, which is probably what I will
do.  It means drilling and tapping while hanging in a bosun's chair, but
should be doable.

On the Forespar website, it says the 'ring' style mast cars cannot be used
for vertical stowing against the mast.
http://www.forespar.com/products/sail-mast-car.shtml

That drives you to the T-125-S mast car, which is pretty pricey, and the
402201 pole, which has the inboard end fitting that goes with the T-125-S.

I suggest you go over all this with the Forespar folks before buying
anything.

Good luck,

Ray
C38 #37