[C38] replacing throttle and shift cables

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 8 13:52:49 EDT 2013

Sorry Steve, I have to disagree on this one...
	Most tragic boating mishaps are not the consequence of a single thing,
but the summation of situation, events and preparation.  A typical
scenario is the weather turns bad.  The sails get reefed, and the boat
continues on ward.  A pump is out, and the backup fails or is jammed.
During the work on the pump another system fails or is not working and
something else happens, and this is then followed by a cascade of other
issues.

	In other words, it is seldom a single thing that causes the tragedy,
but rather a series of events culminating in a situation with no
recovery.

	When I was a child I learned For want of a nail the horse was lost....
It fits well with boating.

	The brake, along with tying off the wheel is also used for multiple
things, one of the most important is heaving to.  On the 38, with an
oversized jib, it is essential to roller the jib, and set the main to
backwind, using a rig to the toerail (I used to keep a tackle just for
this, or in calm weather would use the boom vang), with the jib at about
100% set to normal or slightly loose.  At least that is what worked on
Knee Deep.  During heaving to, the boat will sail up a bit, backwind the
jib, fall off and repeat.  If you have to reef as in bad weather, you
will want to keep the jib and main balanced.  When reefing with roller
furling, use an additional tie around the jib tied off to the toerail.
Tying it off to the pulpit will put additional strain on the stantions
and on the lifelines, which might be needed in such conditions.

	Be careful, guys, keep your boats shipshape, and keep sailing.

Regards,