[C38] Spinnaker Poles

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Sat Aug 3 02:07:48 EDT 2013

I was considering a carbon pole before Transpac in 2011, Mr. Fix It on the boat Randy, said “I can fix aluminum in the middle of the ocean not so sure about carbon”, we kept our aluminum pole.   Case in point on leg 9 of the Van Isle we were screaming through race passage under spinnaker in 24 some knots, two things happen after you get through race rocks A) the wind either dies or B) it compresses through the passage and accelerates.  This night it was B we got hit with a big gust got knocked down bending the pole and then the gooseneck in the process.   The next day on the final leg we looked at the bent pole and decided it was safe to use under certain loads and angles.  We killed the fleet on the next leg using the pole to bring the A2 back for a deeper angle for a portion of the course, had we had Carbon we would not have been able to use it at all.    I would guess carbon is fine for buoy or day racing, but for longer races and offshore where options are limited aluminum IMHO is the material of choice.

Steve

#312 Peregrine

Seattle