[C38] Cracks by Stem Fitting

D McC cat38skip at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 15:28:39 EDT 2013

Ray,

While we are on the subject of the stem and stem bolts, at our last haulout the yard owner noted that the stem bolts on boats as aged as ours have been known to suffer from some corrosion and he recommended changing them out. Ours had some light rust stains running down the bow. I removed one at a time and found that several were, in fact, showing some signs of degradation. Nothing catastrophic but certainly worth replacing. His concern was that as the bolts degrade the stem might creep up a bit.
I don't know if this could be contributing to the cracking but it is worth considering.

Fair Winds,

~Dave

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in sailing.