[C38] straight down wind spinnaker

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Tue Sep 17 22:13:39 EDT 2013

Bob,
     On Macavity a straight downwind spinnaker would get as much use as
a sterling silver tea service. The C-38 is not a straight downwind boat.
We try to avoid using a chute closer to dead down than 165 degrees. We
usually start the no-go zone at 155 degrees. We have no conventional
chutes - assymetric only for that reason. I do not mind a little
excitement from time to time but notice that my helm control diminishes
when the rudder rolls out of the water. Joe