[C38] fuse panel replacement / upgrade question.

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Fri Sep 20 01:25:38 EDT 2013

I did 2 things this past spring that improved my boating pleasure.  One of
them was completely separating the house from the start battery.  I did this
with a Blue Seas add a battery kit.  With one switch it turns on both the
house circuit and the engine start circuit but keeps them separate.  The
switch also has a combine batteries mode for use when the engine start
battery fails.  The kit included a relay which combines the batteries when
the alternator is operating and separates them when not.  Evidently this
arrangement has no voltage loss which occurred with the old battery combiner
diodes.  I could never remember to move the switch on the DC panel and
always started the engine with the house bank.  Sometimes starting the
engine shut down the chartplotter.  Everything works great now and there is
no need to flip switches.

The other thing I did was hinge the DC panel which was more than adequate
before.  By being able to swing down the panel, I am able to check and add
circuits without lifting a lot of weight.  The panel is not as cumbersome
now when I relocated the engine start/house bank switch to a spot closer to
the engine.  I also have a 5 circuit AC panel next to the DC panel which
adds a lot of flexibility in switching equipment on.

I know this wasn't the answer to the original question but I hope it gives
someone some ideas to use.

Phil Gay

C38 049 Que Linda

Everett WA