[C38] Maritime lawyer recommendation?

Michelle Diaz diaz_michelle at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 23:23:04 EDT 2014

I am in dispute with a rigger about services rendered poorly on my C38 "Dulcinea" that I have been working hard for nearly a year on her complete restoration since I purchased her late last September. The rigger is claiming I still owe a significant amount of money, I'm claiming I will not pay for services that were done (a) not to spec as I hired him to do (he now says there are no specs on our boats - ha!), (b) done incorrectly and need to be either fixed or replaced (of which he has not offered to do) and (c) done in such a manner that it has actually caused my vessel damage. And the rigging is still not complete. My Legal Counsel (not Maritime) advised having the rigging as done to date inspected by a third party for detailed reporting. I am hiring Svenden's Boat Works to do so. The disputed rigger is now threatening to put a lien on my boat and sell it. I never signed any contract with said rigger, nor is there any maritime mortgage against my
 registered vessel for him to claim a lien against - I own her outright. Anyone have any recommendations on a SF Bay area lawyer specializing in Maritime law/liens?

MD