[C38] The big renovation

Greg S. Hart ghart at follysbestrentals.com
Sun Dec 28 09:51:08 EST 2014

When we purchased our 1981 Catalina 38 Hull number 95, she had suffered 4 years of neglect. Which is especially sad because Tom had taken such good care of her.

 She is out on the dirt now and set for some major work.  I would appreciate your feedback on anything you know or have done you would recommend we do or check while she is out.  I want her right when we splash her.

As of now we have the following planned or underway:

The engine and transmission have been pulled. The engine is being rebuilt and the clutch plate replaced. The transmission checked out fine

Installing a 1,600 BTU AC with heat

Hull painted - Considering Navy Blue but worried about fading and dings being highlighted suggestion appreciated

Mast un-stepped and inspected. The only time the last owner took her out, they bumped a bridge clearing off the the top of the mast.

Replace running rigging and standing rigging as needed

Cutlass barring replaced

Bottom painted. That is the one part that is in excellent shape, no blisters.

I appreciate the collective wisdom of this group.

Greg Hart
S/V Folly's Best
Charleston, SC