[C38] Strange Rust??

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon May 12 19:38:22 EDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-12 at 13:17 -0400, Dave Kilroy wrote:
> Anyone know what this may be from?
>

> Dashaway #193
>
> Dave Kilroy
> 617-901-TRIM

My rudder had some rust.  It turns out that stainless needs oxygen to
form the protective barrier on top of it.  Stainless without oxygen
breeds corrosion or rust depending on the conditions.  The rudder has a
welded framework inside of it, and I think this is probably from that.
The rudder tube housing is fiberglass, and the fittings bolt to the
rudder support tube which is welded to the web framework around which
the rudder is built.  My rudder had leaked a bit, but not too much so
they drilled a hole in the bottom and one in the top to let the water
drain out, then let it dry out for some time on the hard while I had the
bottom redone.  This is much more severe than what we saw on Jace.  I
would recommend you thoroughly check the rudder for strength.   A
rudderless sail boat is not a fun experience. (I experienced it in a
dinghy class to teach us more about how to handle a boat.)

	Others may have more recent and better information.
Regards,
Les H