[C38] new headsail

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Sat Jun 14 03:08:28 EDT 2014

David,

Ditto on what Joe said, before you spend any money have a solid plan on
what inventory you really need.  If wind is as you say 8-12 most of the
time building to 15 then you are in a nice groove.  My experience has
been in less than 8 a nice carbon fiber 155 fits the bill above 8 we go
to an STS sail 140% and carry it to 22 or so.  Most light #1s have that
8 knot range, Ive flown my over that and it is now in the loft after
three years having the leech recut to  remove the nasty hook that
developed from flying it in to heavy of air.   Most likely if you get a
155 you will pay a penalty of about 6 seconds the problem with a 155 is
that in order to carry it in heavy air it has to be built for heavy air
and will be to heavy of a sail under 8 knots.   Our cruising 155 doesn't
like anything less than 8-10.   You might consider a racing 140 like we
have along with a drifter for the really light stuff below 4.  In that
range of 4-8 you will have a small hole in your inventory but more money
in your pocket.  I buy my sails from Dave at Island Planet sails and
have been really happy with the product and the service

Steve

#312 Peregrine

Seattle