[C38] new headsail

S Orton ssorton at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 01:06:02 EDT 2014

David,  How did you stow the CF head sail- roll it or fold it?   Cheers, Steve
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 16:18:51 -0700
To: listserve at catalina38.org
From: davidepstein at earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [C38] new headsail

David,

I have to say that with all due respect, I disagree with Steve's
conclusions about carbon fiber headsails.   For many years, we
purchased a new 155% headsail for SuperStar every two years or so.
At first, they were Mylar, then Kevlar Pinstripe.  By the end of two
years, they were often tired and/or tattered.  Also, we were not
comfortable carrying them over about 10-11 knots true wind.

When my sailmaker Elliot Pattison (in Laguna Beach, CA), first suggested
I consider a carbon fiber sail, I was apprehensive.   I was
mostly concerned about the cost (about 15% more than I had been
spending), but the improvements became quickly clear.

The first thing is that CF sails are stronger for their weight, meaning
that the boat will be clearly overpowered long before we would worry
about breaking the sail.  No longer any need to carry a light and
heavy 155%.  Instead, we carried a single 155% and a 150% (also CF).

The second thing found is that CF sails maintained their shape and
remained competitive for 50% to 100% longer than the other
composites.  Carbon Fiber actually ended up being considerably less
expensive.  We won several C38 Nationals with genoas that were 2-3
years old.  I would not consider any other material for a genoa on a
38.

Regarding overall sail inventory, we found that the perfect complement
for being competitive on SuperStar was a 155%, 150%, 130% and a 100%
blade.   The mainsail was always Dacron with Kevlar
reinforcements in the corners, which lasts a lot longer than all the
modern composites.  Considering how high the aspect ratio is on a
38, and that most of the drive on the boat comes from the headsail, CF
didn't make any sense to me for the main.   We carried 1/2oz,
3/4oz and 1.5oz spinnakers.   And for our weekly Sunset Series,
I had a used high-clew jibtop, which was mid weight Dacron.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

David Epstein

Former owner, SuperStar

#122, Marina del Rey, CA