[C38] steering post leak

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Tue Aug 26 12:39:16 EDT 2014

Mighty Quinn has the same problem!  I consider this a design error when
Butler changed our boat from tiller to wheel.  I looked at installing a
"boot" a while back but gave up because of lack of room.  I also thought
of glassing in a grease fitting that would seal much like we used to do
on prop shafts and our fresh water pumps, but just have not gotten
around to it.  I find the problem on my boat is while I am underway,
especially with the motor as the boat settles aft as the prop pushes.
Following seas can be a problem as well.
Probably the best solution for me on this was installing mylar shims to
deal with rudder post wear.  This significantly reduced flow!
Right now, I am living with a wet bilge.

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114
Great Lakes