[C38] Keel bolt replacement

Malcolm (Max) Winter malcolmwmax at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 10:48:41 EDT 2014

Hello Steve & all:
When the keel is dropped, if there are corroded or cracked bolts aft of the front bolt, then the existing corroded bolt should be cut clean and new stub bolts welded to the old stub. If the front bolt is cracked or corroded, then there should be a notch cut out of the keel on the downward slop as close behind the original bolt as possible and a new stronger than original bolt drilled through the lead and the fiberglass above. Seal the drilled fiberglass and fill the notch with fairing compound and refinish the keel.
That is how 2 yards that I know have made the repair and it seems to have held after the keel was re-bedded.
Malcolm (Max) Winter
SAMS AMS #1132
La Paz, BCS, Mexico