[C38] flare guns

Donald Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Sun Dec 28 21:41:43 EST 2014

When I was a kid, a rough friend showed up with an old brass flare gun
into which he shoved a 12 gauge shell, birdshot.
He set it off. and it exploded to lacerate his arm. Lots of screaming
and wrapping handkerchiefs around the wound. In the
70's I recall a great B grade movie in which a husband and wife pair of
sailors was accosted by a horrid crew of a shrimpboat,
off Louisiana or Florida. The pair saved themselves by firing a flare
from the orange pistol into the face of one of the
malefactors. The woman then throttled the other bad guy with a line
around his neck. She wrapped the loop around a winch and cranked.
Great sailing movie, better than Captain Ron; I can't find it on youtube.
Those orange guns intrigue me. I am thankful never have had to use one,
in any capacity.
Don