[C38] Battery replacement

Dick Kilroy dickkilroy at comcast.net
Thu Jan 8 15:39:41 EST 2015

Richard: battery selection has to be related to usage. If racing you want
everything as light as possible, cruising is a different matter

We lived aboard Dashaway in the Caribbean for 13 winters. We have an Adler
Barber air cooled supercold machine and windlass. Windlass generally has the
engine on when in use. Refrigeration runs 24 hours a day on about the
midpoint setting on the control and will make ice. Moderate additional
insulation was added to the ice chest as well as a muffin fan to drive air
to the upper portion of the inverted L-shaped ice chest.

Batteries consist of two sets of six volt golf cart batteries, one set
forward of the galley the other on a shelf I constructed in the port sail
locker with cover, and vents, to avoid dropping something on the contacts.
Either bank can function for engine.

We also have a 55 watt keyoserra solar panel. There is also a two stage
regulator wired to charge both battery banks and a link 1000 battery
monitor. Alternator is small case size 135 amp. Battery switch is left on
position one(galley set, wired for the AB). Cockpit locker set is directly
wired to the windlass and can function as a backup when switch is in
position 2 or on both depending on battery strength. Solar panel is wired to
galley bank (refrigeration) only

Engine is run about 45 minutes a.m. and 30 minutes p.m. when on anchor.

This was probably too long, hope it helps.

Dick