[C38] Any advice?

Max soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 19:13:16 EDT 2015

Hi Patrick,
I just installed a 40hp Yanmar 3JH4E.
Same height and and width, but 2" shorter and 40 pounds lighter than the old universal 5424.
The muffler and exhaust hose also had to be replaced for a 3" diameter and I also moved the engine 2" forward..
At the end,  the waterline on the stern raised 3/4"..
The engine bed had to be raised a little bit on the front, but that will have to be made for any new engine, because of the weird three mount configuration of the original Universal 5424..

This was the only choice that I had here in Costa Rica, but a 35hp Betamarine, or Universal seems like a good choice...  Both use the same Kubota block, and are way lighter and smaller than our current engines.. That will add for more space on the sides for maintenance....

If you need some pics, just ask..

Hope this helps!

Max Soto A.
+506-8312-1367