[C38] Any advice?

Tom Troncalli tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 23 22:50:13 EDT 2015

Unless your engine has had a loss of oil pressure and/or has low
compression, I would try to stay with the current engine.  Diesels are
tough.

Probably the worst problem regarding cooling is having an inadequate
heat exchanger.  The original Universal 1024 had a heat exchanger that
was too small in perfect conditions and as the exchanger got older and
collected corrosion and debris they got even worse.  I had my boat in
Tampa Bay which is pretty warm making a bad problem worse.

I built a larger exchanger and never had problems with overheating again.

Regarding thermostats, I had a friend work on my engine with me and
unknown to me he decided to throw the original thermostat away since
they are cheap and mine was original.  We found that the factory
thermostat is not a standard diameter and are very expensive and no one
had one when I needed it.

With no other choice, I bought an automotive thermostat of the same
temperature rating and ground the edge down to make it the same flange
diameter as the original.  It worked perfectly for about $5.00 and a few
minutes on a grinder.

Most marine engines are slow to "burp" and the Catalina 38 is no
exception.  Any air left in the cooling system will greatly reduce
cooling efficiency.  I put a Prestone flush adapter between the engine
and heat exchanger so I could apply city water pressure to the system
with the cooling cap removed to remove trapped air.  The engine will
usually burp during use but power flushing helps, just keep the water
volume low and cut it off before very much of your antifreeze flows out.

The Universal engine is an old design but can give a long life if
maintained.  Kabota makes the block and many parts can be bought
directly from Kabota at lower than marine prices, including the head
gaskets and fresh water pump to name a couple of expensive items.

Tom Troncalli

     `