[C38] Asymmetrical Sails

Les Howell hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Aug 15 00:32:14 EDT 2015

HI, Marc,
	We had an Assymetrical on JACE.  I tied it down via a block to give me
a 2:1 pull down.  It was too much for Nancy and I to handle on our own.
But it was FAST.  And with the 135 poled out on one side and the assy on
the other the boat would almost pull out of the water.

	Great if you have a strong crew, but two manning a boat it was too much
for us.  I think a crew of 4 or more would be good.  Biggest issues
were: getting it setup with the sock rigged right.  Getting sufficient
power and a good well mounted block at the rear for trim.  Due to the
C38's shape, getting the block far enough back, meant a pole to get
enough fly for some courses.  Remember that Nancy and I were in our late
fifties and neither of us was a power house.  So basically I had a very
large ballast bag on the starboard side.  We just did not use it much at
all.  But we did get some really good training on it from some fellow
sailors.  By the way, if you see TomCat anywhere, go and visit Tom and
his crew.  great guys one and all.  Most racers seem to prefer the
traditional spinnaker, so they might give you some good input on the
comparison and the trim and setup of both.  Oh, one other thing.  we
never used a topping lift, but that would seem to be a good idea.  The
whisker pole was a bit heavy for the spinnaker in light air.

Regards,
Les Howell