[C38] Longer boom and bigger main?

Marc-Andrea Klimaschewski marcklim at outlook.com
Wed Jun 29 18:32:13 EDT 2016

Hi folks,

Image's boom needs some love and I have been thinking about replacing it.

We often have only light winds up here in Seattle and I sometimes feel the
boat is a little under-canvassed so I have been toying with the idea of
putting a longer boom and larger mainsail on. The current main is already a
bit bigger than the class main (317 ft2 due to some roach instead of 253 ft2
which is what Sailing Illustrated lists). I wonder though if we could go
even bigger (sail a full length boom with end boom sheeting which should
bring the sail up to ~390 ft2).

Has anyone on this list tried something like this? It looks like there is at
least one C-38 out there with a very big main, does anyone know the owner of
this boat? http://www.buy-a-boat.com/Catalina38_85.htm

Thanks

marc