[C38] Battery bank setup

Max soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 01:26:38 EST 2016

Hi again Marc,
If I'm not mistaken, the original set up is that the batteries in front of the galley are separated banks.. One is the starting and the other one is the house battery.
 Is very common that original owner modified this by turning this two batteries as a house bank and installing a starting battery somewhere else...
So far, I have seen three options:
1- under the starboard settee
2- behind the fuel tank (only possible on early models with a 20 gal fuel tank)
The good thing is that the wires are not that long, so wire diameter can be smaller, and cheaper because the voltage drop is a minimum..
3-on the fiberglass shelf located in the sail locker (wire runs are longer, but there is enough room for battery maintenance...this is where I have mine)

I installed a Blueseas Add a Battery kit that includes a charging relay and a very smart battery switch that only has two positions (On and Emergency starting)
When I switch to the on position, it connects the house directly to the electric panel and the starting battery to the engine system..
The alternator positive output wire runs directly to the house bank, which is the one that usually needs more juice..
When the relay senses more than 13volts (when a charging source is is present) it joins the banks, and when the voltage drops it separates them, so this means that you'll never have to mess with this switch.. Put it in the ON position the the beginning of the trip, and turn it OFF at the end...
It also has a nice feature when engine starts. It won't join the banks in the first 30 seconds until the hi current peak from the alternator stabilizes, and this will protect the sensitive electronics..

Hope this helps

Max Soto A.
C38 #198 Estancia
+506-8312-1367