[C38] Spreaders.

fleet2001 at aol.com fleet2001 at aol.com
Thu May 11 16:45:52 EDT 2017

Got it.  Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Smolinske <SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com>
To: Catalina 38 Listserve <listserve at catalina38.org>
Sent: Thu, May 11, 2017 4:10 pm
Subject: Re: [C38] Spreaders.

Mine have always moved even after adjustment, I have looked for a way to secure them to the shroud once adjusted but have not found anything that would work, good luck.  After adjustment be sure to check mast is still in alignment.  I run a 100 foot tape up the mast on the main halyard and then measure to a point athwartship of the mast on the toe rail,  measured back from the bow.  The deck may not be symmetrical in its layout so you can’t count on counting stanchion openings or anything else.  Also if you adjust the spreaders they will increase or decrease your shroud tension, so you will want to check them with a loos guage and then check mast head alignment again and so forth and so forth until its dialed in.   Also when measuring from the mast head down to the deck on each side, don’t forget that one dimension will be off about ½” from the other based on which side of the mast the sheave is located.