[C38] Fixed Prop Spec's

Michael Norcross manorcross at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 07:28:34 EDT 2017

Hi guys,
I have been around many times on the Max Prop 3 blade classic.  When I bought the boat I could not get the RPMs up on the diesel even with a clean bottom.  The motor was overloading, pushing black smoke. When I pulled it the prop was set at 22 degrees according the codes inside the prop, although Hutch at PYI insisted at that time that it was correct. I got the PYI owner late one night before an early morning splash in and decide to drop it to 14 degrees. Bost was slow but RPMs were acceptable. Problem in the Chesapeake Bay is that algae grows fast and there are lots of Barnies, which adds to resistance. The next haul after talking to Steve I went to 18, boat picked up speed but sttill could not get 2800 rpm in forward under full throttle but was great with a clean bottom.  As the crude came back my RPM would only go to 2000 without overloading, even after diver came.  Discuss it again  with Hutch and he agreed that I could go to 16 on the setting. Boat is hauled now but I decided not to go into the prop again and leave it at 18 and have diver more often. One of the problems was that  I used Hydrocoat last time and when the boat came out there was 6 perfect squares on the bottom with barnacles and slime., obviously where the paint was missing under the jack stands, because it did not dry adequately. Pettit says 16 hours dry time but I am letting it go an extra day this time to make sure.
Will launch today, and expect the boat to be fast again.

Cheers

Mike

Escape 318
Annapolis