[C38] Hot water heater

Charles Finn charles at finn.ws
Tue Sep 5 16:02:19 EDT 2017

I just installed a Yanmar 40 hp 3jh3 that was completely rebuilt from
the crankshaft up.    The engine was about
$6500 with $2000 additional until I return the "core." Installation ran
about $4500 and I put a Max Prop on for $2600.

I can now do 5.5 kts in a 35 knot headwind at 3300 rpm  (max power is
3800).   The Max Prop gives me about as much power in reverse as forward
with a lot less propwalk!
I have about 60 hours on the engine as I wanted to be sure everything is
working.  The alternator died, but the manufacturer just had me buy
another one for which he reimbursed me.  Next summer I will be bringing
the boat to Bayfield, WI which is on Lake Superior and while I have made
the trip through all the Great Lakes before with the Universal
5424.....   there a few times when I really wished I had more power!!!!!

The Yanmar is truly a marine engine with integral heat exchanger and
most everything is within easy reach.  I just BARELY fits in the engine
compartment and needed no rework of the bunks.  It is really nice to
simply lean down and start the motor without pre-heaters!

So far....  I am a happy camper!

Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114
Great Lakes