[C38] Engine blower

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 22 09:48:37 EST 2018

Marc: Discrete Charm is C38 #50, 1980; a real old timer. The engine
blower was frozen and crusted with salt and corrosion when I acquired
the boat.. My surveyor told me that it was for the original gas engine,
which had long ago gone to the scrap heap. I removed the salt-crusted
blower and also removed those tubes to make space. I cannot say that my
Yanmar diesel needs a blower venting of the engine "room" (aka torture
chamber when you have to go there). However, I'm open to others'
opinions on the matter.
Regards, Don

On 2/22/18 6:39 AM, Max Soto wrote:
> Hi Marc, Estancia came with a blower switch on the engine panel,
> connected to the accessory side of the ignition switch.
> I’m with Steve by not connecting it directly to ignition. I would
> install a esperaste switch somewhere else on the boat.
>
> Regards,
>
> Max Soto A.
> +506-8312-1367
>
> On Feb 21, 2018, at 16:01, Steve Smolinske
> <SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com <mailto:SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com>>
> wrote:
>
>> Marc, the two vents one should have a hose that runs to the blower
>> then down into the engine compartment, the other vent is for intake
>> and doesn’t necessarily need a hose.  I would wire the switch
>> separate from the ignition so you could use it without turning on the
>> key.

Donald R. Strong
Professor,
Department of Evolution and Ecology