[C38] Engine blower

Charles Finn Charles at finn.ws
Thu Feb 22 16:43:22 EST 2018

Marc,

Several issues here.

1. Only gasoline engines MUST have a blower, but it is a very good idea
for one on a diesel as it helps with any heavier than air gas that could
accumulate in the bilge  (propane for example).  I personally would
insist on having a blower regardless of engine type.

2. The blower exhaust hose/s should end up at or near the lowest point
inside your boat.  Most C38s had them end just aft of the bilge pump and
another in the engine compartment.  Truth on my boat is I have rolled
over mine so many times while attending to my "engine room"  (aka
Dante's 7th level of hell) that they are 1/2 the size they were
originally, but they still do draft!

3. The exhaust blower is on the port side.  The air intake (essential
for proper diesel engine performance) is on the starboard.  Diesels use
a lot of air and must not become air starved.

4. If you want to ventilate your cabin, use something else than this
system as the fumes you are smelling are many feet off the floor.
Probably the best answer here is to install cowl ventilators with a
dorade box.  These work all the time when the wind is blowing and really
do improve the cabin air.  I also have a solar vent in the head that
works ok.

5. I cannot recommend connecting the blower to the ignition. Install a
rocker switch inside the aft locker where it is easily accessible and
out of the weather.

Best,
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114