[C38] Engine stop lever / pull to kill cable

David Epstein davidepstein at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 29 20:12:28 EDT 2018

Marc,

The throttle pull-back method of killing the
engine was, from what I recall, how the 5424s
were set up for only a few years.   The other
years the engines were designed for a separate cut-off lever.

When I pulled the pedestal on Superstar to put
the tiller on, I had to address the same issue,
as most engine controls on the market now combine
throttle and shift, which doesn't provide a means
to pull the throttle back further than the center "idle" position.

I started designing a custom solution for a
separate shut-off lever, which involved one or
two sliding brackets to allow the throttle to
move throughout its range, and to provide for the
second cable that would only perform the shut-off
function.  I never got to the building or testing
stages as my mechanic found a used Morse control
with separate levers for throttle and shift,
which was compatible with the existing engine shut-off method.

I don't know of an easy way to do what you want
to do, as your engine wasn't designed to work
that way.    Perhaps you could research the
possibility of retrofitting parts from the later
engine that had the separate shut-off cable.  I never looked into that option.

If it will help, I am pretty sure I have the
cables with the "T" handles and some new chrome
angled escutcheons to mount in the cockpit that I
purchased when I was going with that plan. If you
need them, let me know and I will verify what I
have and come up with a great price for you.

Good luck!

David Epstein
Former owner, SuperStar
Marina del Rey, CA

At 01:32 PM 3/29/2018, you wrote:

>boundary="_000_BY2PR1201MB0933C23A9B146C8D80FDC686C2A20BY2PR1201MB0933_"
>
>On Image, I currently have separate throttle and
>shifter levers at the helm. In order to shut
>down the engine, I need pull back on the
>throttle. I would like to add a pull to kill
>cable (T-handle in the cockpit to kill the
>engine). I know some boats have this (saw it on
>Peregrine for example). On the engine I don’t
>see a way to attach a kill cable – any ideas? My
>engine is an Universal 5424 – original as far as I know.
>
>Thanks
>Marc

David Epstein
Audio Video Consultation & Services
Phone: 310.308.3083
Mail to: 3826 Grand View Blvd. #66336, Los Angeles, CA 90066
Ship to: 11671 National Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90064

DavidEpstein at earthlink.net
Board Member, CTA TechHome Division
www.cta.tech (formerly CEA)