[C38] Dock Lines

S Orton ssorton at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 20:22:36 EDT 2018

Another thought:  I buy a good quality 1/2 inch, 3 strand nylon (yes nylon) line in bulk and replace the dock lines as needed probably every 3-4 years as chaffing demands and use no protection.  The down side of nylon of course is UV degradation, but chaffing destroys it first.  The good side is 3 strand nylon is a lot more elastic (elasticity is a good trait for dock lines) than braided low stretch dock lines which have are more UV resistant, but again it is chaffing that destroys your lines.  At our marina we share a 40 ft slip.  We use 2 long spring lines, a very short stern line and 2 medium length bow lines.  The 3 strand line is very easy to make with custom lengths and a  spliced loop.  In the 20 years owning our boat, we have never had a dock line failure.  The last 8 years, the boat has been in the NW where we get considerable boat movement as storms rolls through.
Cheers,  Steve O (Santa Susanna)