[C38] Fwd: Broken chainplate

charles charles at finn.ws
Tue Mar 3 18:06:54 EST 2020

Remember the welding wire needs to be 316 I would think....
-------- Original message --------From: Max soto <maxsoto at gmail.com> Date: 3/3/20  2:46 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: Catalina 38 Listserve <listserve at catalina38.org> Subject: Re: [C38] Fwd: Broken chainplate As an update, I just had a green light from  Catalina. So, I’m going for the new chainplate design...Here is hard to find 316 stainless, so I’ll have to import it. It means that I’ll start the project by the end of this month.. will keep you guys posted of the process. Regards,Max Soto A.+506-8312-1367Alajuela, Costa RicaOn Feb 8, 2020, at 10:30, Charles Finn <Charles at finn.ws> wrote:

    Max,
    I think this is an excellent solution, but do carefully attend to
      the quality of the bolts!   I would also suggest that cut out the
      decking where the fitting will sit and fill it with epoxy as this
      is a compression situation and the deck core is not up to this.  I
      would guess given the looks of the old fitting that you will find
      some core deterioration and the epoxy fill may be significantly
      larger than the the plate.   Also, I would drill the new holes for
      the fitting larger than needed as you really want any "working"
      done by the rigging not to be transferred to the deck.  Let us see
      some photos as your progress!
    Chuck Finn
      Mighty Quinn #114
      Lake Superior