[C38] Mast Question

Michelle Diaz diaz_michelle at yahoo.com
Sun May 17 16:17:40 EDT 2020

When I bought Dulcinea some 8 years ago, I did a complete restoration as she had sat at South Beach Harbor unused for over 10 years.  For the rig, I dropped it and had it sand-blasted at Leon's Powdercoating, Oakland, CA, then brought it back to Glen Hansen rigging where I was having work done, lab metal filled/faired it, took it back to Leon's for a firing to cure the lab metal, took it back to Glen Hansen rigging for another round of filling/fairing, and finally took it back to Leon's for a second firing before powder coating.  Their oven is just a little longer than half the distance of our rigs so they were able to fire one half at a time, turn it around and fire the other half.  The mast and spreaders are holding up beautifully.  The boom is showing signs of dissimilar metals corrosion despite my best efforts to make and use delran washers and use anticorrosion coatings on the nuts and bolts, so it'll have to be redone again soon.  I'll likely wait until the 10yr mark when I have to redo all the standing rigging again nyway.  Fortunately redoing the filling/fairing and powder coating to just the boom will be a MUCH easier job than a full rig pull!

Oh and I forgot to mention that the powdercoating was a significant cost savings over having it stripped and painted at KKMI or Svendsen's.  I want to say I spent like $500 total for all the back-and-forth blasting/firing/powder coating...

http://www.leonspowdercoatings.com/

MD

Michelle Diaz, BSN RN CCRN TNCC
USCG MM 50GRT Near Coastal