[C38] Refrigeration compressor location

Charles Finn Charles at finn.ws
Wed Nov 18 10:58:32 EST 2020

I installed a Dometic/Norcold fridge from Defender back in 2007. Cut out
part of the icebox space next to the engine wall and the unit just fit
in with room to put a layer of real insulation (sound down) on the
engine wall.  I was shocked to discover the original insulation had long
ago deteriorated into dust and my ice box was being heated by the
engine!!!  I have 200 watts of solar and am able to turn the fridge on
in the spring and off in the fall with cold food and even some ice cubes.

If you are going to cool the icebox...  you will first need to insulate
it!  My thought was to insulate inside the box and then finish inside
with plastic shower panels (don't forget to put a drain in).   I would
also go with the cold plate even though it is a bit more.

Location for the compressor is also a challenge.   First and best
location is in the sail locker, but it gets warm if there if you have
not insulated your engine compartment.  After finally getting around to
installing the Sound Down this year...  I have to say this was one of
the dumbest things that I didn't do for years! You cannot believe how
much nicer it is in the cabin and cockpit underway with the insulation!!!
Second location is under the sink location or under the port settee, but
as we know this is the wet side of the bilge and that can be a problem.
It is also a bit noisy in the cabin at night.

IF I was to do this again... I would go with the conversion of the
icebox with the cold plate.  A bit more work, but I think a better long
run solution.  On the other hand, installing the fridge only required a
sawsall and and afternoon!

Let us know how it turns out!
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn  #114