[C38] Rudderpost replacement

Max soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 00:10:42 EDT 2021

Time has come to replace my heavily corroded rudderpost. I’m removing the old one from the blade and noticed a design that I thought was void around 1980. I thought I had a straight post with stainless straps instead of a couple big plates. Has someone opened their rudder and found a different rudderstock design?

BTW, it was really scary removing the rudder with the boat in the water and noticing water level is just 1.5” from the packing gland.  Too bad Catalina didn’t cut the tube a couple of inches higher, so the constant leaking could be avoided.
Second pic is the packing gland without the rudder.

Max Soto A.
+506-8312-1367
Alajuela, Costa Rica