[C38] Blue Water Sailing

Charles Finn Charles at finn.ws
Tue Mar 9 12:02:56 EST 2021

Patrick,

Rigging does need to be replaced when examination of the rig warrants.
Time can be a factor and certainly stress is one as well.  But the best
answer in my opinion comes from a very close examination of the rigging
and fittings.  If your stays are wire, look for broken strands
especially near the fittings.  Some folks say wire is good for only 10
years, but that is so highly variable to be a ridiculous statement as
wire size, stress, salt environment, electrolysis, etc. are variables
that can contribute.  There are many articles available on-line that you
can easily  look into and I recommend articles by Brian Toss
(deceased).  There are also many riggers in your area that can be hired
to evaluate your rig.  My personal experience has been that trouble is
usually around the fittings where the connection (usually swaging) tends
to cause trouble.  As far as someone walking on my boat and without
careful inspection telling me make major investments....  without
meeting the Captain, I would wonder how much fun it would be to sail
with him.  On the other hand I have delivered boats as a captain and
crew over the years that were maintenance nightmares!

The rust around the thru hull is a puzzle.  The thru hull is most likely
bronze and should not be rusting....  There lots of stains that can look
like rust.   But any hole under the waterline deserves careful
attention!  I would be asking a yard to take a look at all your thru hulls.

BTW,  The ride south along the coast is considered the "right way to
go"  in terms of winds and currents.  Getting back can be challenging!!!

Regards,
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Lake Superior