[C38] Blue Water Sailing

Max soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 15:05:50 EST 2021

Hi Patrick, I’m a rigger and the 12 year seems about right. Even if nothing is found on an inspection, I’ll consider a 10 year old rig as suspicious.   If you sit on a chair for ten years doing nothing, you’ll still get old.. ...   same thing applies for the rig, specially on a salty environment.  I’ve been hired for inspections on several boat were and found nothing, but there was a warning to replace them ASAP because rig was just way older than 10 years.  Three of them got dismasted  within one year. Culprit was the wires broke inside the terminal, despite there wasn’t a single crack or visible corrosion on the outside.
I’ll second that thought that boats that are not used a lot for years will suffer rigging problems when some real stress is applied on them.  The $10000 sounds like and average ballpark price in the US, but if you are handy, I’ll encourage you to do it yourself.
On boats like ours, chainplate inspection is a must.. ask me how I know that......
Regards,
Max Soto A.
C38 Estancia #198
+506-8312-1367