[C38] Universal engine maintenance most difficult item

Charles Finn Charles at finn.ws
Fri Mar 26 15:01:31 EDT 2021

Steve,

I cut a round access hatch into the wall of the port quarter berth.   It
is one of those circular 6 or 7 inch access hatches that costs less than
$20.  Easy to make the cut with a scroll saw or moto tool.   Still is a
lousy job changing the filter and then bleeding the lines, but we are
lucky to have an electric fuel pump in line.  On the Yanmar engine I
replaced the Universal 5424 with, you have to reach way inside and
manually prime the fuel line which was one of the worst jobs I had to
do!   I ended up installing an electric fuel pump in-line just for priming.

Best,
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114
Lake Superior