[C38] rudder stock/post seal leaking issues

Marc-Andrea Klimaschewski marcklim at outlook.com
Thu Apr 1 12:17:44 EDT 2021

Hi Michelle,

the Catalina 38 does not have a rudder bearing per se but a stuffing box. This is the Edson part: Rudder Post Stuffing Box (edsonmarine.com)<https://edsonmarine.com/products/sailboat-steering-wheels/steering-hardware/rudder-post-stuffing-box/>. The rudder stock diameter is 2.860” if I remember correctly.

In order to address leaking you want to make sure that the stuffing box (bronze) is properly glassed into the hull. It most likely is, if not that’s something to address asap. You also want to open it up and replace the flax packing. I believe Edson recommends 3/8”. It’s a tricky job especially if you have the rudder quadrant / radial drive in the way but it can be done. Make sure you don’t strip the bolts and don’t lose them in the cavity by below the stuffing box (the mini skeg our boats have). You may have to do the packing two or three times to get it right but it’s worth it.

Hope that helps
Marc