[C38] Raw water pump shaft on 5424

Duff, Russ (R.W.) rduff at visteon.com
Wed Apr 12 13:06:33 EDT 2006

I was perusing the new site and took a look at the 5424 manual (I have one
but wanted to look at it anyway).  I decided to read a little more closely
the section on the water pump to see if and when grease needs to be added to
the grease cup (I wondered what that thing was).  Anyway, I saw nothing
about adding grease, but I did read that if the shaft pulls out of the pump
when removing the impeller, the whole pump has to be removed to re-insert
the shaft.  Has anyone had to do this?  The shaft pulls out of the pump
every time I remove the impeller, but I just put it back in.  Am I looking
for trouble?  Your comments are appreciated.

BTW, I think I will perform the lazarette floor removal operation this
weekend.  I will let everyone know how it went.  I have one last question; I
was planning on cutting the floor and inside wall out as one piece, not a
separate floor section and a separate wall section.  For those that have
done this, will this work or should they be two separate pieces?  Thanks
again for all of the help and advice.

Sincerely,
Russ Duff
Catalina 38, Hull #112