[C38] insurance

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Mon Mar 27 19:50:35 EST 2006

All:

Discreet Charm is in Emerycove, Alameda Co. , San Francisco Bay.
No claims. I pay ca $120 / year towing to BoatUS plus ca $280/yr to them
for hull insurance with similar coverage to that described by Glenn and
Charles, below.
         Two issues.
1. Our policy allows 30 nautical miles from the Golden Gate, which lets us
to do the Farallon Isl, Drakes Bay, and Halfmoon Bay. To go farther,  we
need a $25 rider that they issue quickly on the phone-- allows us to go to
Monterey and Southern California.
2. The towing has paid for itself in our case.  We have used it
twice.  Most notable was the tow from Santa Cruz Isl to Santa Barbara when
the exhaust riser bolts broke-- this would have been a $600 tow w/out
insurance.

  I expect if the hot and hotter western Atlantic serves up another year of
hurricanes, marine insurance companies may begin to pull out of Florida and
surrounding states; the reinsurance market is in a foul mood. I also expect
that we with boats in areas without tropical storms will begin to
contribute to the cost of insuring boats in areas with them. This really is
fairly equitable. All of us have lived  much wealthier lives with the
fossil fuels that caused the rising atmospheric CO2.   At least the
petroleum that yielded the fiberglass in our C38s hasn't dumped its CO2
into the atmosphere.

don

Donald R. Strong
Professor