[C38] Catalina 38 Offshore Sailing

Jim and Barbara williams at barbara-james.com
Fri Apr 21 15:50:57 EDT 2006

I prepared Checks in the Mail for the 2004 Annapolis to Bermuda race.  The
main items were:

1)  I made a 2-piece set of hatch boards.  The lower board was even with the
top of the coamings.  I added an eye on the inside of both boards, and
installed a cleat in the cabin so I could lash one or both in place.  I also
added a clear plastic inspection port in the upper board so small items
could be passed without removing a board.

2)  I replaced all standing rigging.  The old saying is that sailing with 10
year old rigging is like driving on bald tires.  I had the upper fittings
swaged, and on the lowers I used Navtec fittings and did the work myself.  I
got all materials at Rigging Only.

3)  I added a second manual bilge pump - one that could be worked if we had
to button up and go below.

4)  I removed the keel for inspection.  Found four bad keel bolts and some
poor factory workmanship.  The keel-to-boat seam was glass over shiny "like
new" gelcoat, and what appeared to be an inferior filler had been used.
Fixed everything and now I never get the "Catalina smile", even after
hitting something that felt like a Volkswagen going around 7 knots about
this time last year.

5)  I mounted new Aquasignal bow lights on the pulpit.  I found that the
standard lights in the hull don't meet current USCG standards, and worse,
short out and blow a fuse when the bow is submerged.  Most folks would
prefer a masthead tricolor, and I wouldn't disagree much.

What I wish I had done was to replace the steering cables and chain.  Edson
recommends changing them every two years.  I paid my yard to inspect mine,
but they missed a problem that should have been obvious.  This was Part 1 of
the failures that put us out of the race.

I also wish that I had a better spare parts inventory.  I had plenty of
filters and belts, but didn't have an alternator, fuel pump or either water
pump.  The voltage regulator is integrated in our alternator, and that
failed - creating a fire hazard and ultimately knocking us out of the race.
(A boat was abandoned in that race, largely from complications of the
alternator not working.)

For sails we carried the following jibs: 150%, 130%, 100% and a storm jib.
We had a #2 asymmetrical spinnaker, a main with one regular and one very
deep reef point, and a storm trysail.

I have never used runners nor an inner forestay on this boat.

Hope this helps.

Jim Williams
Norfolk, VA
Former owner of Checks in the Mail