[C38] Spinnaker sheets and guys

David Epstein davidepstein at seicontrol.com
Tue Aug 29 01:33:08 EDT 2006

Hi Phil,

On SuperStar, we use Samson XLS 1/2" for afterguys, 50' long
each.   They are larger than needed, but are really nice on the
winches and on the hands.  We have standard snap shackles, with
plastic "donuts" to prevent the spinnaker from trying to pull through
the tip of the pole.

Our primary spin sheets are New England Sta-Set X-Lite 7/16", and
they are 60' long each (although I would probably order 65' lengths
next time).    They are great as they are strong, not too small on
the hands, and they are so light that they often work when we might
otherwise switch to the light-air sheets (which are about 1/4"
line).  We use Tylaska snaps as they are lightweight and are
impossible to open by snagging on something, with large bales so that
the spin sheets can easily snap onto to guys.  Your foredeck will
need a "fid" to release the snaps.

I have had success purchasing good quality line on eBay (such as both
the lines described above) for far less than retail
pricing.  Generally, it will be odd colors or last year's model, but
good line, just the same.  If you can't find good deals for what you
need on eBay, I have found that www.pyacht.com has both good prices
and good service.

I think that it is important that the lines you use be low-stretch so
that the puffs go into boat speed instead of going into line
stretch.  You can get 1/4" or 5/16" high-tech line that is load and
stretch rated far beyond what is required, but it is not as easy to
handle (and is very expensive).  I recommend 7/16" at a minimum for
afterguys and 3/8" or 7/16" minimum for sheets.

Let me know if I can be of further help.

David Epstein
#122 SuperStar, Marina del Rey, CA