[C38] Flying goose over heating follow up

William Knowles william_k_19810 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 16:30:37 EDT 2007

I would like to start out by saying thanks to all of
you for your responses to my first cry for help. I
wanted to follow up let everyone know what we found.
1. The raw water intake was OK a little silt but
nothing that would  restrict water flow. There where
only one clamp per side that has been corrected.
2. Raw water pump OK. May be new not sure.
3. Thermostat OK cap OK fluid Good and correct level.
4. Hot water tank hose may have had small blockage by
passed for test will clean when complete but might
have to replace anyway small fresh water leak.
5. Heat exchanger opened and pretty clean ran wire
through all tubes to clean.
6. Removed mixing elbow to inspect very clean, not
With all things checked and tried the engine is still
overheating at dock. This seems to be a common problem
not only with 38's but the Tartan sight had comments
also. I think my next step will be to replace the 2"
heat exchanger with a 3" model and route the ware
heater Through the thermostat by-pass. If that still
doesn't work I will do the pump (larger capacity) I
also found on one site that parts can be purchased
from a kubota tractor dealers just don't say "marine".
 I would like your thoughts on this plan. As an aside
I did some of the work and the marina did some.
I would also like to get together with the other
owners on the bay. Is there an all Catalina rendezvous
this year? Any ideas.

Thanks Bill Knowles "Flying Goose"  324