[C38] the goose has problems

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 23 13:52:29 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 17:05 -0800, William Knowles wrote:
> I have an 85 38 with leaky portsany ideas. Also the
> rudder is really stiff, the pedistal was replaced and
> there is a small leak in the post. Since I am on the
> hard this may be time for repairs. I hope someone out
> there has had the same problems.
> Thanks in advance
>
> Bill

Hi, Bill,
	Nancy and I redid all the ports on JACE.  The rubber bits are available
from Catalina Direct, and comes with instructions and they sell the
necessary sealants to do the job.  However there are new smoked
plexiglass or lucite windows that attach over the outside that update
the boat and look great.  They use Butyl rubber seals I believe, which
should last a very long time.  Someone here posted the information about
a year or so agao I believe.

	If I had it to do over, the new materials would be my choice.  A bit
easier and they look great.

	The rudder is not usually too stiff in our boats.  I would be
suspicious that something is bent or broken.

	Dropping the rudder is a pretty big job, but it may be necessary.  Do
look at this while you are in the yard.

Regards,
Les H
Regards,