[C38] Good Old Boat Regatta!

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Sat Sep 8 14:42:24 EDT 2007

morris pam wrote:
> Hi all!  I'm trying to get a class start for the Cat
> 38's in the Good Old Boat Regatta which is sponsored
> by Good Old Boat magazine and Shearwater Sailing Club.
>   I think this would be a great venue for the east
> coast/chesapeake bay cat 38's to show their stern en
> force on the race course again.   We'll need 3 boats
> for our own start and it is a casual race designed for
> Good Old Boats that typically don't race.   It is up
> to each class whether to use the spinnaker or not.   I
> vote to use the spinnaker....
>
> To enter this regatta the Boat models' first keel had
> to be laid before 1975.   I'm not sure if the CAT38
> was but I'm positive that the Yankee 38 was as I've
> seen 1972 models for sale.  Does anyone out there
> know?   The regatta's organization group is a little
> funny about the models they want in the race.  They
> may not like Catalina!   I'm going to register as a
> Sparkman Stevens Yankee 38 built by Catalina to see if
> we can qualify.
>
> The regatta is 2 days Oct 6th and Oct 7th.    The
> instructions and information can be found:
> http://www.shearwatersc.org/
> This regatta is a lot of fun and there are some
> beautiful boats out there.  What could be more
> stunning than a fleet of Cat38's?  We'd probably pick
> up some press.
>
> I'll definately be racing so if any Cat38
> sailors/racers are around that weekend and want to
> race,  please email me.     Thanks and I'll let you
> know!    Pam

Morris,
    The Yankee 38 would qualify but I doubt that you can convince anyone
that is what you have. I raced on a Yankee 38, Independence around San
Nicholas Island in 1974 0r 75. The Yankee had among other things a flush
deck and the most uncomfortable cockpit of its day. (no seat backs) It
also had a 2 foot shorter mast.. I do not know for certain when the
first Cat 38 appeared but I would guess 1978. Joe Launie, Macavity,
Commodore