[C38] Transmission Replacement

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:32:53 EDT 2007

 Hi Pam,
Following an old advise from
Tom, I just went into the sail locker (mine has no modifications and I have
no water heater). I didn't moved my engine or one of its supports.  I spent
two days removing the
bellhousing screws. They were kind of  welded!!! the  tranmission shaft was
stuck with the plate. We were pulling it with some ellastic feeling. we were
able to open the housing less than 1/2", so we installed larger screws with
nuts in between and started rotating them. Finally the plate rivets gave up
and we got it out. Then,  removed the rest of the plate from the shaft and
from the engine, took it to a shop, and they returned it like new.
 ESTANCIA is a 1982 model. The engine is the original 5424 24hp with a HURTH
transmission. No tags or numbers.

According to other C38 owners I realized that the transmission had to be the
hurth HBW100, and I was right. Also, the kit for this transmission works
with the HBW 50 and 5, I think!!
Check this place.
http://www.marinegears.com/

This is were I bought everything. Best prices and service!!! Ask for Chris.
I paid less than $290 for the whole rebuilt kit including shipping, seals,
gaskets, clutches, and a couple of needle bearings. The other bearings were
bought on an auto shop for $20.

Hope this helps!!

Max Soto
C38 #198