[C38] jib, mainsheet, and reefing

DRS drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 24 13:48:41 EDT 2007

Dear Bill:
  We just purchased a new 110% from Lee Sails, Peter Nevada is the SFB
agent. It works great and was almost exactly 1/3 the cost of a North
Sail (and other big name sail makers) of the same cut. Karin insists on
reefing when the wind is greater than 20 knots. When we take novice
sailing guests on the Bay, we reef at the outset, usually #1 reef; windy
days, 2nd reef point when they are old or otherwise unlikely to
appreciate healing.

The block arrangement in the image that I emailed gives easy main sheet
adjustment from the winch on the housetop under the dodger. The car on
the traveler is another matter, 6:1 isnt enough purchase to move the car
readily unless one comes off the wind. Best to adjust the car during
tacking.

I have lots of long tie offs on the cabin seats to secure purses and
back packs; no fun when they hit the floor during sailing.

Never considered a self tacking jib. Our boats are designed to be jib
sensitive, and the tack that you pick will always require jib sheet
adjustments. The big winches and great force that they generate are
necessary for jib adjustments on C38's.

Where is your boat?
regards, Don

--