[C38] bilge pumps

Tom T. tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 11 07:26:39 EST 2008

Hello Ken,

I have three bilge pumps, the two main pumps mounted port and starboard in the bilge and the shower sump as backup.  All three pumps are kept activated at all times.  The two main pumps are mounted as far as possible on each side of the bilge so when heeling I can remove more water from the bilge than a single center mounted pump can.

I put low pressure check valve in the hoses and the pumps will discharge the lines with no problem.  The two main bilge pumps have a "y" fitting downstream from the check valves so they can share a common discharge line but the shower sump has a separate discharge line and check valve.  If I ever experience massive flooding, the two main pumps would kick in and if the bilge still kept flooding, the shower sump would kick in when the bilge water would eventually flood the sump pan.

I use the all rubber and plastic type check valves. I think they may be made by Whale.  The metal swing gate type valves are harder to open in a low pressure system like a bilge pump line and should not be used.  They can also corrode and not open or close properly.

Hair or other debris can keep any check valve from fully operating properly but I have had only very rare problems of having to clean them. The Whale brand check valves will open sufficiently with even very low discharge pressure and any good bilge pump should work fine with them.  Check valves will make your pumps and batteries last much longer by preventing the annoying pump cycling you have referred to.

Tom Troncalli
The Renata #95
St. Pete, Fla